Saturday, November 4, 2017

Change your life





These days my Facebook feed is dominated by two things.   Posts about or related to kids/motherhood and posts about/related to running.  This includes tons of ads for shirts and products I will likely never buy but often I find entertaining.



Today I saw a shirt with this phrase:
If you want to change your body, exercise.  If you want to change your life become a runner.  Truer words have never been spoken (or I suppose in this case, written).


I started working out in January and started running in March. When I started working out in January my life did change.  I had more energy and my clothes started to fit better.  But those changes are fairly minor in the scheme of things.  My life truly changed in March when I decided to join Fleet Feet's "Dare to Be Fit" program.   This program consisted of two days a week of coached runs and one day a week where we talked about weight, nutrition and other components of the weight loss/fitness journey.  I had participated in a training program with Fleet Feet in Buffalo over 10 years ago so I knew it would be awesome.  I just didn't know it would be life changing.


In March, I had a ton of inhibitions about so many things.  I was too slow to be considered a runner.  I wouldn't fit in at group runs or races.  People would make fun of me for even trying.  What if no one talks to me.  What if I'm too slow and hold the mentors back.  All of these worries stemmed from the fact that I had virtually no self confidence.  It was kind of crazy to me because I had always been someone who was almost too self confident.  But between moving to a new city, marriage and having twins there were so many life changes that gradually chipped away that confidence to almost nothing.  Walking into the program kick off was scary.  Everyone seemed so much more fit then me.  The next step was our first group run.  I had never been to South Park and didn't know a single person, but since I had paid for the program and didn't want to waste the money I knew I had to show up. 


That first week, I ran with one girl (who ended up not coming back) and Susan.  I probably said to Susan about 100 times "are you sure I'm not going too slow for you?"  What propelled this self doubt was when one of the other groups of beginner runners literally lapped past us on the track.  We were running for one minute and I was terribly winded.  What had I gotten myself into and did I actually belong there?  Susan kept reassuring me that, yes, I belonged there and no, I wasn't too slow.  So I came back.  Week after week I came back.  I went from being winded running 30 seconds at a time to running five whole minutes by the completion of the program.  That might not sound like much to some, but for me it was a huge accomplishment.  Not only because I was able to do it, but because I had the courage to try.

Somewhere over the course of that Dare to Be Fit program something inside me changed.  That tiny little flicker of self confidence erupted into a flame.   I was still a slow runner who was using intervals, but somehow that didn't matter anymore.  I took pride in every run that I completed (even if it didn't go according to plan).  The self doubt started to melt away.  Suddenly I was a more confident runner.  But it didn't stop there.  I was a more confident mother.  A more confident wife.  I had a sense of inner strength that I didn't have before.  I was willing to take more risks and try new things.  And that confidence came through running.  It came through the actual training runs, but also came from the amazing group of friends I have made through this running journey.  People that were encouraging every step of the way.  People that believed in me even before I believed in myself.  People that helped me change my life for the better.

Honestly, every single person involved with Fleet Feet has been amazing, but there are some who have really left their mark.  The first is Kisa, our fearless leader.   We joked that you drink the "Kisa koolaid" because it seems everyone involved in one of her programs becomes addicted to running.  She has been so real about her own journey and never let me be down on myself and is always there with an encouraging word.   The next shout outs have to go to Susan and Michele.  They were my most regular mentors through the first program and are a primary reason I kept coming back every week.  They let me take a break if I needed, but also pushed me when I needed it too.  Jackie has also been a huge help.  Her pointers on form and also encouragement to push harder have definitely helped me become a better runner.  She has also recently helped me navigate making purchases for winter runs.   Carla and Sharon have been amazing supporters, too.  When I was one of the last finishers at the Great Race, Carla was at the finish cheering me on and guiding me to water and making sure I got my medal.  Then cheered me in a few weeks later at a 5k.   There were a few times where Sharon pushed me to keep running, during training runs, and she helped inspire me to run more when I was struggling at the Great Race.  Of course I can't have a post thanking the awesome life changing folks without a shout out to my fellow "struggle bus ducklings" Ashley, Cindy, Kaylyn and Leah.  We may be back of the packers, but we stick together and support each other.  And have tons of laughs along the way.  Ashley is our fearless leader/mentor and is amazingly supportive and encouraging, but what I appreciate most is that she is so real about her journey. 


In most other sports, if you aren't good you are left behind, made fun of or basically told to leave.  In running, as long as you use your legs and keep putting one in front of the other, the community will support you. That kind of unconditional support is rare, and I'm glad I found it with my Fleet Feet family.  It is this support that helped me regain my self esteem and confidence and has dared me to try new and exciting things.


So, yes, if you want to change your life, start running.  You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment