Thursday, January 25, 2018

A fresh start

There is a statistic floating around that somewhere around 80% of people have already given up on their New Years resolutions.  Sadly, I was one of those people and was sort of wallowing in disappointment that I had already ruined my initial goal.  Then a wise and encouraging friend reminded me that just because the calendar doesn't say January 1st it doesn't mean you can't make a fresh start.  A year doesn't have to follow a calendar year.

So here we are, January 24th (well, now it is the 25th since I didn't post this yesterday) and I'm starting a new year.  How?  I'm counting today as the fresh start of my original goal to get at least one intentional mile per day.  I initially had this goal because I am a part of a team for "Run the Year". The goal of that team is to run/walk 2018 intentional miles as a team in 2018.  The only way we'll get there is committing to intentional miles daily.  I had honestly done pretty well, but getting sick threw me for a loop.  I basically hadn't moved since Saturday and was frustrated with myself.  Then I saw my friend Carla post about running a mile today and a challenge.  Curious about what her challenge was, I learned that she is joining Vaughn in a challenge/goal to run one mile every day for a year.  I don't think it is coincidence that my Fleet Feet family (who have helped me get/stay on track before) are the ones who are involved in a similar challenge/goal that I had initially set for myself for this year.  They reminded me that there was no reason to throw away my 2018 goal just because I had already screwed it up by January 24th.

So January 24th was the start of a new year for me. A year filled with getting at least one intentional mile a day.  Some days I'll walk, some run. Sometimes with the kids, sometimes with Fleet Feet, sometimes on my own.

To start my new year, I walked yesterday at the Monroeville Mall.  I had the kids in the stroller, so I was pushing around 60 pounds of toddler plus however much the stroller weighs.  But I went for it.  I started my garmin and I looped around the ground floor until my watch buzzed for a mile.  I felt good so I pushed it and went for two.  It felt so good to get in some physical activity when I could have easily veged out instead.

I'm excited for this new challenge and look forward to getting my intentional miles in every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment