Saturday, January 20, 2018

Well, it is a start

I definitely knew that basically taking the month of December off would impact my fitness and running abilities.  I just didn't realize it could cause such a significant drop in my pace.

I used my Garmin for an outdoor run for the first time yesterday.  Since it was finally warm enough to spend some time outside, I decided to go for a run when my husband got home from work.  The daylight was weaning, so I knew I couldn't do much.  But I was eager to get out there and pound the pavement while enjoying some fresh (although still a little crisp) air.  Anyone that has been to my neighborhood knows that it really is quite hilly.  And honestly, I haven't done any hill work in a while.  I had thought about totally avoiding the hillier portion of the neighborhood, but that would essentially only be cheating myself.  So I sucked it up and ran/walked through most of the neighborhood in loops.  At one point while going up "the big hill" (it would have been huge to me in Buffalo, but in Pittsburgh probably barely rates as a hill) my pace was over 20:15.  I KNEW I could pick it up.  I didn't want to overdo anything since I hadn't had a real run in a while, but I also knew going that slow wouldn't help me at all in terms of my training.  My goal was to do at least a mile, but once the watch buzzed that I had hit a mile, I knew there was enough daylight and I had enough energy to keep going and hit at least 1.5.    Which I hit about two houses away from home.

My initial thoughts when I hit "done" and saw the workout summary was frustration and disgust.  This was MUCH slower then I had been running in the not so distant past.  I wouldn't dwell there, though.  After all, it was my first run in ages and, more importantly, I was out there doing something.  I could have easily chosen to stay at home on the couch and not be active.  Instead I chose to take some "me" time and run.  1.5 miles of time to reflect and pray.  1.5 miles of relative peace and quite.  1.5 miles of fresh air and a setting sun.  1.5 miles worth of calories burned and steps taken. 

Was it where I was hoping to be?  Absolutely not.  But it is a good place for a fresh start.  I'll take yesterday's run, reflect on what went right and wrong and focus on how I can improve on my next one.  I have A LOT of work to do in order to be able to participate in the Pittsburgh Half Marathon in May, but I know that if I keep moving (even if it is slower than I was hoping) I will reach my running and fitness goals.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment